As you may know, Spain is privileged with coast in the north, east and south of the country. Some of the prettiest beaches and coastal villages are located in the north, exactly in the region of Asturias, where green natural landscapes, beaches, history, culture, exquisite gastronomy and of course, cider, are the protagonists. Lucky for you, there are 3 Paradores in Asturias for you to visit some of this coastal villages and beaches that we will tell you about. From the Paradores at Cangas de Onís and Gijón you will be able to get to know the Gulpiyuri beach, Ribadesella, Lastres and more. Come discover it!
Parador de Cangas de Onís
On the banks of the Sella River and surrounded by the Peaks of Europe stands the beautiful Parador de Cangas de Onís, housed in the former San Pedro de Villanueva Monastery. From here you will have the chance to explore Cangas de Onís, the Peaks of Europe National Park, the lakes at Covadonga and many charming nearby coastal villages and beaches. Get immersed in nature while enjoying the luxury of this beautiful Parador, with elegant decoration, a nice terrace, a big garden, exquisite gastronomy and more.
- Gulpiyuri beach is a small beautiful beach located in the village of Naves, approximately 30km away from the Parador de Cangas de Onís. This beach has one peculiarity and is that it has salty water from the sea but is not actually the sea. This beach is connected to the sea through an underground cavern in the rocky mountain, in which the water flows. The landscape of this beach is stunning, with green vegetation, surrounded by mountains, golden sand and clear water, a natural paradise definitely worth visiting.
- Considered one of the prettiest beaches in Asturias and located only 30km away from the Parador de Cangas de Onís is the Cuevas del Mar beach, a natural beauty in Spain. The may big rock formations over the fine golden sand and blue crystalline water, make this beach a beautiful landscape. A parking, lifeguards, showers, bathrooms and other services are available in this beach.
- The coastal village of Ribadesella is a great plan for a daytrip from the Parador de Cangas de Onís, located approximately 20km away from each other. With the Cantabric sea and the presence of the Sella river, this village, full of water is an ideal destination in summer, but also the rest time of the year. Practicing surf and bathing in the beaches of Ribadesella, walking around the streets admiring the color houses with balconies and visiting the historic, cultural and religious monuments of the town are some of the things you can do here.
Parador de Gijón
One of the most beautiful parks in Gijón is the Isabel la Católica Park, and guess what? That´s where the Parador de Gijón is located. Housed in an old mill, this Parador is the ideal spot to discover the many sights that Gijón has to offer and to take daytrips to the nearby coastal villages such as lastres, Tazones and Cudillero. Don´t forget to try the asturian gastronomy and the exquisite cider, a typical alcoholic drink made with apple juice.
- Lastres, a beautiful coastal village of Asturias and the favorite of many. Maybe it’s that the town is built in a mountain right up the beach or that it has many interesting sights to visit, whatever the reason, this is a must stop while in Gijón. Visiting the fishers port, the tower of the clock, the church of Santa María de Sábada and admiring the views from the viewpoint of San Roque are some of the things you can´t miss in Lastres.
- The beach, the lighthouse, the port and the town itself, Tazones, a must visit place 25km away from the Parador de Gijón. This little fisher’s town is all about small houses in the hill, stoned streets, fisher boats and beach and mountain. An old town definitely worth visiting! Don´t miss to try the seafood of Tazones, delicious.
- A little bit more than 50km away from the Parador de Cangas de Onís is the town of Cudillero, a typical fishing Asturian village. Take a tour around the historic quarter of Cudillero where you will feel the fisher essence of the town, discover the beach of El Silencio, where you will find natural beauty and peace and of course, don’t miss to reach the lighthouse and admire stunning views and relax.
Plan your trip to Asturias and spend some days exploring this area, Cangas de Onís, Gijón and their nearby coastal villages and beaches, definitely worth it. Book now at Paradores and be prepared to have an amazing experience!